Thursday, February 18, 2010

In Memoriam

Celebrity deaths seem to be the biggest trend lately. Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, Billy Mays, Bernie Mac, that guy from the movie commercials, they all died within the last year. However, one death has gone relatively unnoticed by the general populace, and he was more important than any of those celebrities. He was a major influence in American history and modern political philosophy, and yet his death has been shoved to the wayside by the mainstream media like he never existed. I am talking, of course, about Howard Zinn.

Zinn actually died about 3 weeks ago when I was in Montreal, so I was unable to write about it at the time. I remember seeing his name as a ticker mention on CNN, and then going around to my friends and saying "Did you know that Howard Zinn died?" Sadly, no one knew who he was. Perhaps that shows this country's priorities, perhaps not; either way, it is a sad fact when a great thinker dies and few people even care.

I won't eulogize Mr. Zinn because I am not his biggest follower nor am I his most personal friend; I am simply a person who respects his impact upon the understanding of American history. While he may go relatively unrecognized by the hoi polloi of the world, I have some hope that his works will survive to the future, where they will be accorded the respect that they deserve. A man of his intellect is a man that should never be forgotten by his contemporaries; to be forgotten almost makes his monumental contributions meaningless.

Here's to you, Howard. I first read your work in 8th grade, and it was certainly the most verbose work that I had read up to that point. Maybe if the world were different, maybe if people payed attention to modern philosophy and understanding history, you would have a grand ceremony worthy of your contributions.

You will be remembered. I promise you that.

Howard Zinn, August 24, 1922 – January 27, 2010
May his magnanimity flourish into the future.

Das Flüg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.