Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Be Resolute.

The average person will never adhere to their New Year's resolutions. How many give up going to the gym, eating well, working harder, etc., just because it's difficult? Why bother making a resolution if you're not going to adhere to it strictly?

I've decided to set strict resolutions for myself.
1. Finish writing a book.
2. Get a job.
3. Get accepted into grad school.
4. Write extremely creatively over this next semester and beyond.

I've never actually made resolutions that I ever planned on finishing; they were only perfunctory responses to "what is your New Year's resolution?" I've decided that, finally, my life needs a bit more finality than just the usual oscillating I do. I'm about to graduate college and enter the real world which, I have been told, tends to steal away one's soul for years on end. If it ends up doing that, then at least I'll know that I had my resolutions to retain a bit of what I once was.
I've started on 2 and 3 already, having completed my graduate school applications and I have applied to multiple jobs, several of which have expressed interest in me working for them. My book idea is already on paper; all I need is to sit down and write it.

To be resolute about anything takes dedication. How many people will say that they want to be healthier, and yet they keep the same diet they had before or indulge needlessly in things detrimental? To not give into a deleterious urge is to show strength towards the conviction you have set for yourself; to submit to this urge is only to display that you weren't serious about your resolution in the first place.

Do yourself a favor: if your resolution is to be healthier, go to your refrigerator and remove anything and everything with trans fat, partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or anything with Splenda. If your resolution is to go to the gym, find the most expensive gym around and join it. You might as well have some impetus to go, and if it's hurting your wallet that much, it should be worth it.

If you make a resolution, don't make it because it looks good. Make it because you want to improve yourself and are willing to do what it takes to fulfill that resolution.

That's all for now,
Das Flüg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.