Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Even more creative writing!

Our assignment was to write a monologue. Woo.


When the Levee Breaks
Setting: A small room with 4 white walls.

Damon: Well, here we are again; it’s always such a pleasure. It seems that we always end up back here, in one room or another, enjoying each other’s company. How many times has it been now? 3, 4? Ah, who cares anyway, it’s always nice to see you! No? You don’t like seeing me? Oh, this unrequited love is killing me! You might as well get used to seeing my beautiful face, since this time, I’m not leaving you. Oh no, try as you might, you can’t shake me off. I’m in it for the long haul, baby, and you’d better be ready for me to rock that world of yours. All those years you shut me out, all those years of entrapment, all those years of ignorance, they’re gone, buddy boy, and now it’s my time to shine. Well, our time. Because this is a joint venture, and as much as you don’t want to admit it, you’re going to have to accept it sometime, pal. So, let’s rewind; why didn’t you like me in the first place, now that we have this extensive heart-to-heart? Not feeling talkative, are we? Oh, that’s fine, I can summarize it. I gave you something that you relished, but feared. Ohhhh boy, you seized what I gave you and you certainly did make the best of it. I remember all those beautiful paintings you made out of all that red; you were a regular Van Gogh, you were. The way you took that knife while I guided your hand and conducted a symphony was marvelous. It was like watching a regular Batman and Robin duo, except without all the tights and crime fighting. You reveled in it, being covered in the blood of another. Don’t deny it! DON’T FUCKING DENY IT. That warmth, that intimacy as you bathed in the bloodlines of countless families made you feel happy. Somewhere along the way, though, you seemed to grow feelings. We grew apart, and I really hated that, I did. I felt like we had become the best of friends. When did it happen? Was it when we tied that little girl to the chair and stared into her eyes while we tore the heart out of her mother? Did all that girl’s sorrow and screaming actually get to you? Weak fool. Was it when we decapitated that obese moron and left his head in the oven for the cops to find? Hmm?... Well, I suppose it’s not important. Either way, you built a wall around me and threw yourself against it as if you could stop the massive tsunami it contained. I think a part of you built that wall pretty shoddily, considering that, well, I’m here. Maybe the best of you was hidden away when building that wall, but it certainly didn’t stop you from fixing the obvious cracks. You tried to stop your desires, but I just kept popping back up every so often and prodding you back on the right path! Don’t you see Damon, we’re meant for each other. We’re going to be running this whole party together for the rest of our lives. Hmm? What’s that? You don’t want to anymore? You’ve grown some kind of empathy? You actually don’t want to create great artwork anymore? Come on, Damon! We created some of the greatest artwork man has ever seen! The color red is so expressive! People stared at pictures of our artwork for hours at a time trying to decipher if we had put some kind of message into it! But, wasn’t that the beauty of our artwork? Is true beauty not in randomness? Is it not in the act of choosing to show one’s feelings through some kind of extreme outburst of colors? Well, in our case, one color. You still don’t want to continue? But look what we’ve created! Hmph. I suppose that I can always complete our artwork on my own. I mean, I always was the creative one; you just had the good hand-eye coordination. Well, if you insist, I guess we can change our style from realism to expressionism. Splattered colors were always sort of my thing. Well buddy boy, I hope you’re ready for a new driver. Just as an FYI, I don’t have a license to drive, so it might be a bit... bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.