Friday, August 13, 2010

Thought Experiment

Imagine this: an Atheist runs for president and has a viable chance of being elected. Assume that he or she is a Democrat, as an Atheist in the Republican party is about as likely as Glenn Beck passing a math test. (An Atheist being nominated for president for the Democratic party is unlikely as well, since the party as a whole hopes to gain votes from moderates.) What would happen?
Firstly, the morals of the Atheist nominee would be challenged; the common belief is that morals are grounded in religion, and those without religion are immoral, rabid sexual monsters (cough*catholicpriests*cough) who would destroy all civilization because of a preference for mass anarchy.
It's more than likely that religious groups would protest fervently, heckle, send death threats, etc.

Why should belief in a deity factor into politics, a seemingly non-theocratic institution, especially in the United States, which was built on religious tolerance? I suppose that's my question of the week to you, my single reader. Feel free to comment if you like.

That's all for now,
Das Flüg

3 comments:

  1. because this is america, the land of the backwards and home of the uneducated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bear with me for a second with this horrible statement...America was founded on religious tolerance but not atheist tolerance.

    Sure atheists can be moral, law-abiding individuals. However, politics is not really about principles anymore, it is a popularity contest and atheists can't call upon his church congregation for support.

    Although I myself am an atheist, I believe that "the church" is one of the few organizations in our society which brings a group of individuals together who otherwise would never be together. It is a shared common experience which everyone can relate to and in human psychology, I believe this gives politicians who go to church a leg up because of this common bond with potential voters.

    I don't know if you've ever been to church, but in many protestant churches, there is a shared community bond as kids who graduated from college/high school are called out for their achievements and there is a communal church dinner at the end of each sunday session. It gives a sense of community which otherwise is lacking in today's society.

    That is why I believe that the belief in a deity factors into politics. Through the human need for a common thread with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I agree with your statement. It is completely accurate.

    The psychology of church and religion is actually a fascinating discussion. Perhaps I'll save it for a later blog post.

    I'm just too lazy to sign into my profile to answer.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.