Monday, April 2, 2012

Life, or lack thereof

Death on TV is not an uncommon occurrence. It could be real, as in reported deaths on the news, or fake, as in a television show or movie. Death has become such an everyday occurrence in life that we never take much account of it, unless it is of someone we know (or a fictional character we love). That being said, who has time to care for all the deaths there are in the world? When is the last time a person cried over the death of a single soldier, or of the thousands killed in Syria, or of any number of deaths reported when they were heard over the news? The most common reaction is a small "oh, wow, that is terrible," but a full-on torrential cry? Unlikely, unless perhaps you saw a picture or a video of the deaths in question.

Having attended more than my fair share of funerals at my age, I've stopped crying at funerals and for death. I've found, much too often, that people are too fast to mourn the loss of a person rather than celebrate the person that they were. For some, the mourning process is natural; imagining life without a person who has been so influential, so stable, so exciting, is daunting. So, instead of mourning that person and what they brought out in you, why not be that person that they made you be when they were around? That person you feel that you can no longer be because they are no longer around?

Along with that, I'd rather have people happy at my funeral than crying. I want people to dance and sing, to jump with joy and enjoy themselves. I don't really care if they're doing it because they're glad I'm dead or because I've asked them to, but life is too damn short to spend it sad. I am going to demand that there be dancing at my funeral, which may or may not include the chicken dance.

Yep.
DF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.