Saturday, March 10, 2018

See You, Space Cowboy

It's been a hot minute or two, I know; I can't believe it either. I'm sure I meant to write something new at some point, but maybe I just couldn't muster up the gall to write anything because I didn't know what to write. That's not to say I've been depressed or worried or frightened; not in the least. I've been busy, both working and living and loving life and generally taking moments to appreciate where I am and all the details of the day: the smell of sunset, the ripples of bark in a tree, the serenity of a long, open field with trees waving in the distance; it's been positively lovely.
There are things to talk about happening in the world and in the US, horribly sad and unbelievable and unconscionable things that some people thought wouldn't happen. It's hard to say, honestly, if it's possible to compress down everything into bite-sized, amenable portions that would enable the average person to have a firm grasp on some issue. For instance, 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli was sentenced to prison for 7 years for defrauding investors. It's an encouraging story on the surface, but he wasn't convicted of price-gouging an essential medicine for AIDS patients, rather for maintaining a pyramid scheme and embellishing money from his companies. His supporters argue that he raised the price of the drug to 'encourage research into a newer drug' and that 'the costs would be paid out by insurance companies rather than the patient', but then they seem to ignore that insurance companies can raise premiums based on estimated costs of care.
And of course, there are other things, but it's not really my place in life to comment on everything that comes up. Crazy, I know: someone with a blog not venting their opinion on every little thing that comes up. It's as if maybe trying to make your opinion heard throughout the whole gorram 'verse isn't all that important unless you're someone who, A. actually understands an issue thoroughly, or has relevant firsthand experience to add nuanced detail to an issue, and 2. it really sets your trousers on fire. For me, the general world's plethora of shit arouses reactions and emotions and resignations of disgust or frustration, but for me to accord some notion that I can and should shape someone's opinions on something? Unless I'm well-versed, I'll just keep learning.
And anyway, there's too much to do in life to be constantly angry or frustrated or lament against the machine. I don't even know how to swim! And I've never traveled to Mongolia. Maybe I should do those things first before I choose to be angered by something small that doesn't truly affect me or my friends or the greater world at large.
I've also never eaten escargot, but that's probably because it's disgusting.

That's all for now,
Das Flüg

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.