Thursday, August 20, 2009

Das Müsic!

Ah, music. For so many generations, music has guided us through periods of strife, carried stories through ancestries, inspired some, entranced others. Music has been a constant force in human development, even before the creation of instruments. It mirrors our thoughts and everyday actions in our lives. That begs the question, what does contemporary music reflect about our society?

I'll use the top ten songs according to www.billboard.com to make some general views about our society. At number 1, we have "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. This song is primarily about going out every night to get drunk and be licentious, not to mention the repetitive and unoriginal lyrics (naming the days of the week and repeating the same verse over and over does NOT count as creativity). Also, the autotune only makes people sound constipated. Stop it.
At number 2, we have "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus. Sadly, it's just an itinerary of her travel from LAX to a dance club. It's really not that interesting, and honestly, I can't understand a damned word that she says. To me, at least, it sounds like an Alvin and the Chipmunks reunion.
At number 3, we have "Run This Town," by Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Rihanna. I will admit that it is a well made song, though the repetitive beat in the background sounds like a dog barking (after a while). I do respect Jay-Z for his activism, though I am not the hugest fan of any of them. The unfortunate aspect of such a fast song is the lack of lyrical development, as some words are just thrown in for the sake of a rhyme scheme. This song, on the whole, is mainly about spending money that is earned through their careers. So far, so meh.
At number 4, we have "You Belong with Me," by Taylor Swift. The lyrics reflect the loneliness of a less-than-popular girl who is enamored with her friend, who is dating the paragon of beauty (and empty-headedness). While it is a step up from Miley Cyrus, the idea is banal. I will give credit to Swift's singing voice (and from what I hear, a winning personality). She certainly does have talent, and this song is a good starting point for her to develop her creativity.
At number 5, we have "Use Somebody," by Kings of Leon. They are my friend's new favorite band, and I will admit that they do have talent, but they aren't my type of music. The lyrics reflect a lonely protagonist, possibly in love with someone that he cannot attain. One interesting facet about this song is the use of bass, which is very, very rare (unless, of course, you listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers). It is a decent song, but not one that I would continually listen to. Once is enough for me.
At number 6, we have "Best I ever Had," by Drake. He sings about a girl that he has sex with. He also repeats the same lyrics over and over in the same verse. 'Nuff said.
At number 7, we have "Down," by Jay Sean featuring Lil' Wayne. It has something to do with only being with one girl and repeating the word "down" redundantly. When Lil' Wayne chimes in, I feel like I would have a better time translating whale sounds. Also, the autotune is excessive and extraordinarily terrible. Please, no more.
At number 8, we have "Knock you Down" by Keri Hilson, featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo. Hilson sings about being surprised by falling in love with some Kanye West. I find that implausible, seeing as Kanye West is so in love with himself AND his ego. There is no room left for anything else. Aside from that, the chorus is used excessively and there is very little lyrical variation.
At number 9, we have "Good Girls Go Bad," by Cobra Starship featuring Leighton Meester. It has something to do with being so "badass," that any girl to enter the vicinity of this aforementioned baddassery turns into a raging slut. I understand the need for party songs, but I have heard this song before (in many different forms). It's instantly regrettable.
Finally, at number 10, we have "Hotel Room Service," by Pitbull. It is about meeting a girl in a hotel room to, I assume, compare stock and trading strategies. This song is as enjoyable as receiving a vasectomy from a billy goat. I'm not exactly sure how that would work, but I assure you, it would not be pleasant.

So, what have we learned about contemporary society from looking at the top 10 songs in America? Well, the lesson is simple: we are full of bullshit.

Das Flüg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.