Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flotsam

So, this week there was a lot of hullabaloo about where some jejune character named "LeBron James" would play "basketball" next "season." I even saw that people in "Cleveland" burned his "jersey." (I'll stop with the quotes now.) I find it fascinating when we do something so symbolic, so powerful, to someone who plays basketball. Basketball. Seriously. It's not like he's killed anyone or is currently occupying your native country. He plays basketball.

For all I could have cared, he could have chosen to get a sex change and move to Reno; it would not have impacted my life in the least. I don't understand how people are so riled over this. Maybe it's just me.

I mean, there are more important issues to care about, such as the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, the current rise of Chechnyan rebels, the World Cup, large banks pilfering our money from under our noses, Glenn Beck's bullshit, civil war in Uganda, China's human rights record, global warming, pollution, alternative energy, the BP oil spill, the Republican fight to lift the ban on offshore drilling, Arizona's immigration law, rising unemployment, the degradation of American schools, or maybe even the search for Dick Cheney's heart. My point is, there are much more important things to care about and burn effigies for, and basketball certainly isn't one of them.

That's all for now,
Das Flüg

2 comments:

  1. I just have one comment with respect to the humanitarian crisis in the OPT: PAKISTAN, the Somalian plight, the banditry in Congo. What happened to all these "CRISIS" ? Did they just fade in fairyland. This is despicable and denigrating to the people of those states' to be cajoled into playing second fiddle to some forgery of a crisis in gaza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I was just pulling examples out of thin air. Somalia is definitely a prime example of a crisis.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, concerns, snide remarks? Leave them here.